By Adrian Ceddia
FORMER National Soccer League (NSL) and Australian international player Andrew Marth will lead Green Gully for the remainder of the Vodafone Cup season after the resignation of Ian Dobson last week.
Marth enjoyed a glittering career with Carlton and Melbourne Knights in the now defunct NSL, culminating in a season with Gully last year in which he played in the winning premiership team.
Green Gully held a board meeting last Wednesday to officially accept Dobson’s resignation and elect a coach for the rest of the current campaign.
Dobson stated family reasons for his departure.
Marth came on as a substitute for the Cavaliers in the first game of this season, but is unlikely to continue his playing career while he holds the head coaching position.
Dobson provided Green Gully fans with years of success, most notably with back-to-back premierships in 1999-2000 and flags in 2003 and 2005.
He has been one of the reasons the club has become one of the most powerful in Victoria, and, while sad to see him go, Cavaliers president Charles Farrugia said it was crucial for the club to continue its run of good fortune.
“We have to continue what the club has been achieving in respect of finishing in the top six,” he said.
“Last year we had an exceptional year and we hope to continue it again.”
Farrugia said Marth was a logical choice to take over for the season after having spent a short time as coach in 1998 and being on the playing list last year.
“It will help because of the knowledge he has with the players and the rapport he has, so we consider that a plus,” Farrugia said.
“That’s why we went that way. Hopefully we can continue in the right way.”
Meanwhile, the search continues for a high-profile striker to join the Green Gully ranks after the departure of Nick Tsaltas in the off-season.
So far this season the Cavaliers have used youngsters Joel Nikolic and Daniel Debevc to bridge the gap, with midfielders Brandon Vassallo and Peter Hader given freedom to push forward.
The tactic seems to have worked, with Vassallo netting two goals in the first two weeks and Nikolic and Debevc showing glimpses of form in attack.
Farrugia said while content with the current set up, Green Gully would continue its search for possible recruits.
“Maybe the youngsters will crop up and do something, and we’ll keep our eyes open for somebody else,” he said.