A woman tried to hold up a Dandenong North milk bar with a plastic knife and hand-written note.
She entered the Birch Avenue store about 10.30am on Friday 22 July and approached the 19-year-old cashier.
Greater Dandenong CIU Detective Senior Constable Nic Hayes said she produced a knife in one hand, described as plastic-looking and about 20 centimetres long.
The would-be thief demanded money and produced a note that read, “I will shoot you, don’t test me, I’ve just come out of jail.”
Another milk bar employee returned to the shop floor from the building’s rear and the woman fled.
Det Sen Const Hayes said the milk bar staff gave chase but lost sight of the woman after a short distance.
Call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 with any information.
A BITTER war of words has erupted – and an even bigger war is brewing – after the Pakenham Football Club launched an audacious bid to snatch this season’s Ellinbank and District Football League grand final.
Pakenham, one of the South East Football Netball League’s flagship clubs, submitted a proposal to the EDFL in response to its failure to lure the SEFNL grand final to its home base at Toomuc Reserve.
Officer will once again host the SEFNL grand final after conducting a very successful running of the event last year.
If Pakenham’s proposal is successful, it will mean the two biggest football leagues in the region will host their showcase events on the same day – and just five kilometres apart.
SEFNL chairman Kahl Heinze cut loose at Pakenham for what he said was a selfish attitude to football and netball in the region.
“In my opinion their (Pakenham) behaviour in regards to this has been childish, petulant, selfish, and extremely disrespectful to all of the SEFNL clubs and the broader SEFNL community,” Heinze said.
EDFL president Roger Gwynne made his own thoughts on the issue perfectly clear.
“Why would we want Pakenham?” he said.
“Why wouldn’t we use our own grounds?
“They want the gate, the bar, and the canteen … they don’t want much, do they?
“They sent at least a 10-page submission to us and it will be discussed in about 15 seconds.”
Gwynne said the matter would be raised at a meeting tonight (Wednesday), but he said – in his mind – “it’d be killing the both of us (the EDFL and SEFNL) having two grand finals that close together”.
He said issues with transport, security and available police would pose no end of problems, adding “I’m not even suggesting we look at it”.
Gwynne said EDFL fans could expect this season’s finals series to be played at a smaller selection of grounds capable of hosting multiple finals. The Gazette understands that Garfield – barring anything unforeseen – will host the 2016 deciders.
The Pakenham Football Club has responded to Gwynne’s claims, saying they are factually incorrect.
“The Pakenham Football Club, after consulting with the EDFL, was well aware the finals beverage package had been awarded to the Dusties (Warragul Industrials) for the finals of 2016,” the club commented on its website.
“In our submission, we noted that the Dusties could honour that contract and the EDFL would control the gate, security, and collect those moneys as per normal finals series. The position of the Pakenham Football Club was for the leagues to showcase their finals series/grand final on the best available facilities,” the statement read on.
“Our venue has a fantastic playing surface, great facilities, and for the biggest two weeks in the football calendar is sitting vacant. Due to the state of many grounds in the region, we decided to give the option of using the venue. The state of the grounds has been a topic in the area of late and the Pakenham surface is second to none.”
It is understood the PFC is disappointed it did not win hosting rights to year’s SEFNL grand final, considering $50,000 was spent on new netball courts, the condition of which was a key reason for not winning the hosting rights last year.
A source at the club said the Lions were being pro-active and thorough – not arrogant and money hungry, as the comments of Heinze and Gwynne may suggest.
According to the Lions there were two main reasons for the proposal being put forward.
“The reluctance of the SEFNL to utilise Toomuc Reserve for other than the second semi-final, and after hearing all the reports of the ground conditions in the Ellinbank League, the Pakenham Football Club decided to offer up Toomuc Valley Reserve to the EDFL,” the club said.
“Players in general through the district have voiced their expressions that they would love to play grand finals on Toomuc Reserve.”
WHERE are the $10,000 eagle sculptures?
In a mysterious case of theft, two bronze eagle sculptures have been chopped down and stolen from Villawood Properties estates in Clyde North and Wollert.
Measuring two metres by two metres, the Clyde North eagle located on Berwick-Cranbourne Road was cut down from a tall power pole between 5pm on July 15 and 7am on Wednesday 20 July.
Police believe thieves used a chainsaw or a similar tool to cut down the eagle from the pole – but are unsure if the statue came crashing down or was taken in one piece.
Narre Warren Detective Rob Clark said the theft would have taken considerable effort and a number of crooks to pull off, including a trailer.
“You are not going to be able to fit it in the boot,” Det Clark said.
“This is clearly a unique theft.
“It’s very distinctive so obviously anyone who sees it would be able to recognise it.”
The other eagle was stolen from another Villawood estate at Vearings Road in Wollert between 2pm on 16 July and 8.30am on 17 July.
Det Clark said it was not known if the thefts were related.
AN ELDERLY woman living alone in her Pakenham retirement unit was the latest victim targeted in the home invasion crisis.
Security bolts and chains have been fixed to the 80-year-old woman’s back door in an attempt to help soothe the “very shaken” resident as she overcomes the traumatic intrusion.
Evergreen Retirement Village manager Annie Roberts said the same sort of security has already been applied to a number of the 76 residential units as they respond to increased levels of crime, which she attributes to a neighbouring under-construction retirement village.
The intruder is thought to have accessed the elderly woman’s property by jumping her fence which borders the under-construction Main Street Village development.
Ms Roberts claimed the neighbouring site has experienced crime issues including break-ins during construction.
She believes it is now under the watch of security personnel.
The 80-year-old was alone in her unit when she found the male intruder in her lounge room, about 8am on Friday 22 July.
Police said the elderly woman screamed, causing the offender to flee by jumping the rear fence and taking off on foot.
He accessed her unit via an unlocked garage door that led to an internal door that was also unlocked.
Police have described the offender as Caucasian, aged in his twenties, brownish coloured hair, medium build, 180cm tall, wearing a dark coloured zip-up jacket.
Ms Roberts said the elderly woman had not accessed counselling since the intrusion, but was “very shaken”.
“We have had bolts put on all the doors and in the process of changing the security door at the back of her home. He came from the garden into the garage which she normal keeps locked,” she said.
She stressed it was a “random act” and that residents were very safe and the village surveilled by six closed-circuit security cameras.
However, it’s not the only criminal incident to strike the retirement village community.
Ms Roberts confirmed a car had been stolen from within the village some months ago.
She hopes it will all end once the construction of Main Street Village is completed.
“Once it has been built. This will stop. At the moment, it’s a building site. Anyone can walk in and jump the fence,” she said, claiming the under-construction premise has “regularly” been targeted by offenders.
Evergreen Retirement Village shares a driveway with McGregor Gardens Aged Care.
It houses respite, dementia and high care patients within its 90-bed facility.
Police in the region are patrolling high-risk crime areas day and night to drive down the rate of aggravated burglaries and car-jackings in the outer south-east.
Youth crime demands have resulted in the formation of specialised taskforces and a statewide summit to tackle the issue.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
A MALE driver has died after crashing a car on Princes Highway in Doveton on 25 July.
The man was the sole occupant of the car, which veered off the highway near Power Road and struck a tree about 7pm.
The man died at the scene, according to police, who are continuing investigations.
Any information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or crimestoppersvic.com.au